Saturday, January 19, 2008

Second Mile People

I love Isobel Khun’s book called Second Mile People. I am in Japan right now facilitating a two week workshop and finding my own second mile people.

I have been to Japan 8 times but still a friend met me at the airport. She had to come an hour train journey to meet me, yet did it gladly.

I arrived to a warm room with flowers and hand written welcome note on the desk from the Center managers.

One supper time I was thrilled to see a Japanese friend who was a volunteer helping serve the meal, even after a busy day at her office. I had met her once in Manila and then at this center 2 years ago. That time I had lost a contact and this new friend not only took me to the optical shop but actually paid for my new contact lens!

I have been here 8 times but rarely get out of the conference center to explore the sights of Japan. This Sunday one of the office secretaries is planning to take me to a special place for a Japanese traditional bath. Taking her day off to give a visitor a treat.

I thank God for my second mile people.

No comments: