Thursday, August 07, 2008

There but for the grace of God…

A few mornings ago, Richard and I woke up to a shouting and screaming match coming from the street below our fifth floor apartment window. There is a 24/7 bar/restaurant open across the street and often we hear happy noises, but this was anything but happy.

One woman had another woman pinned to the ground and both were screaming at each other. It was all in Tagalog and I couldn’t make most of it out but it was something to do with one of the husbands. I have a feeling a wife came in the early morning hours to find her husband and found him with this other woman. She was a large woman and VERY drunk. It took a couple big men to haul her off, put her in a tricycle (motor bike with side car) and send her home to sleep off her stupor and rage.

As I stood watching this scene from our window, I prayed for all those involved. There were many hurt that night and not just from the physical punches!

I couldn’t pass judgment as God quickly reminded how depraved we all are!!

I went to my Bible to start my morning devotions (even though it was only 5 am). I am reading through the Bible and was starting Romans. 1:24 “Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.” THEN 3:12”All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one." BUT 3:21 “But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.”

So the only reason why I am blissfully sleeping with my husband of 30 years and not pinned on the street by a jealous woman is GRACE- God’s grace!

No comments: