Friday, June 01, 2007

Rhythm of Life


There is a rhythm to life. Birth-death, joy-sorrow, hard work- results, morning- night. I find the rhythm in my life is made up of Routine and Spontaneity.Usually I fight routine and embrace spontaneity.

Routine is repetition, monotonous, predictable and bland. Spontaneity is energy -building, surprises, joy and welcome.

BUT, call it wisdom coming with age or common sense starting to seep in, I am finding that the equilibrium to a stable, productive, even a fulfilling life is BALANCE between both, routine and spontaneity.

As I look at God’s creation I see this balance. We till the ground, plant the seed, water the plant and watch it grow- not all of a sudden but in laboriously long months. Then we happen upon a splash of feathery purple in a crag of a rock. Soft and fluttering and delicate, emerging from the foreboding, unmoving, granite rock face. Or we look into the starry night sky. They are in order and so predictable that the order of the stars that were named as the Bear and Orion hundreds of years ago, are still in that pattern to this day. Then one night, with only a fortunate few watching, a light streaks across the skies. You may call it a shooting star- I like to call it God’s spontaneity.

But too much spontaneity and I start to feel out of control. Necessary things aren’t getting done and the surprises aren’t so welcome anymore. Why? Isn’t this what I longed for? My energy that is created from spontaneity is spiraling down and my to-do-list grows. Can I really afford an hour in my quiet time this morning- do I have the time to pray for all the people I have committed to pray for?

I am learning to feel comfortable walking long distances in the predictable rhythm of the routine, but still ever ready for the short, unexpected, dance of spontaneity.

1 comment:

Gypsy said...

Hey friend, congrats on your first ever post! Excellent reflection--a good reminder. As you know, I'm not so good at routine either but I realize it is necessary. :-)